Maybe it’s because it’s January and many people are going strong with their New Year’s resolutions and companies are trying to capitalize on it, but we’ve been hearing more and more about detoxing recently. You can buy overpriced powders, juices, tea, there’s even a water bottle that claims to be the master of detox and will help enhance fitness and well being. (Totally bought that and will be claiming victory to my New Year’s resolution no later than 8:00 pm tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime.) But like with anything else, we suggest you do your research before trying something new…good news though, we did it for you!
Let’s begin with the tox in detox. Toxins are little compounds that build up in our bodies that have negative effects; from weakening our immune systems, causing weight gain, and even death. Did you know half the population suffers from FLC? True story, half of us actually Feel Like Crap on a regular basis. Unfortunately, some people accept it, and just assume they’ll always feel lousy. But, if we remove the toxins from our bodies, we remove the crap and feel better! There are many benefits to detoxification, but here are just a few we thought you’d find interesting:
1. Improved Sense of Wellbeing. Detoxing will make you feel good, and when you feel good, good things are bound to happen. Often times a detox is used to help lose weight, but is there really anything better than just feeling good? Being happy can set the stage for improvement in many aspects of your life, from relationships to productivity and just an overall renewed passion for life.
2. Clearer Thinking. Many of the foods we eat, especially those high in sugar and fat, can leave us feeling lethargic, and have a negative impact on our thinking quality. Removal of toxins will remove that sense of fogginess you may be dealing with.
3. Improves the Immune System. Detoxing allows the organs to function the way they were meant to, allowing your body to absorb nutrients better, which in turn will give a boost to your immune system.
4. Increased Energy. When your detoxing, you’re stopping the intake of what has caused you to need a detox in the first place. Replacing sugary and fatty foods with healthier choices will give you a natural energy boost.
5. Helps with Weight Loss. It’s easy to see how removing toxins from your body will help promote weight loss, but it’s also important to focus on your long-term habits. Replacing bad foods with good, and using your increased energy to exercise will lead to a healthier overall lifestyle.
So, you’ve got your why and your benefits, but what about the how? While I dream of sipping from my master of detox water bottle, I thought I’d share a few of the things we suggest to help you with your detox.
1. Sweat out the Toxins. Infrared therapy heats your body evenly, causing you to sweat out toxins from deep within your body. An Infrared Sauna can warm your body to a much greater depth and much more effectively than a conventional sauna. The extreme heat melts fat and cellulite.
2. Eat Your Broccoli. High in antioxidants, broccoli helps boost detox enzymes in the digestive tract.
3. Count on Cumin. Cumin is well known for its effects on the digestive system and is said to aid in proper digestion of food and the body’s ability to absorb nutrients because the enzymes found in cumin help break down the food.
4. Artichokes are no Joke. Artichokes benefit the liver by protecting it against the detrimental effects of alcohol, processed foods and other pollutants. If you have lived a less-than-healthy lifestyle and want to make a fresh, healthy start, artichokes can be an integral part of any detox plan.
5. Take Your Turmeric. Turmeric is a powerful nutritional supplement. It contains curcumin, which is an anti-inflammatory agent and an antioxidant. It not only helps your body to absorb other antioxidants, it also helps fight depression and many other health conditions. Not to mention it tastes lovely in warm lemon water.
6. Water. Water. Water. We cannot stress the importance of drinking water enough! Water is an important part of any diet and exercise program. It is critical for energy production, and is one of the best things you can do for weight loss and better health. If you want to ensure you’ll always feel your best, drink two-thirds your body weight of water per day. For example, someone weighing 150 pounds should drink 100 ounces of water per day. For added benefits, consider adding lemon to your water.
Incorporating a few small changes into your daily routine can have a lasting impact on your health. Here’s to feeling better!