Eating healthy in today’s fast paced world can be quite difficult. Many of us struggle to find time to do everything we need to do in a day, let alone the time to take care of our bodies. However, ignoring our health today can lead to major problems down the road.
In our Indianapolis chiropractic clinic, we encourage our patients to follow a clean eating way of life. We emphasize ‘way of life’, because eating healthy is a lifestyle, not a diet. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables, avoiding processed foods, and eating meats that were raised and processed with minimal to no amounts of pesticides, insecticides, antibiotics or hormones, is just one of the many ways to live a healthier lifestyle.
Many people are apprehensive about making the change, not because they don’t want to be healthy, but because they don’t know where to start. Here are a few simple steps that will aid you in eating healthier:
- Make friends with a farmer, or find a local farmer’s market. Chat with the farmers before purchasing from them; make sure they are utilizing a healthy sustainable method of raising their stock and growing their produce.
- Always choose natural whole foods, staying away from processed packaged food as often as possible.
- Avoid juices. Artificial and processed juices contain high amounts of fructose corn syrup, with little to no real juice in them. If you enjoy drinking a glass of juice, we highly encourage you to freshly squeeze your own, or invest in a juicer or food processor so you can make your juice.
- Stay away from canned foods as often as possible, particularly canned tomatoes. The lining of the can contains chemicals that have been linked to different diseases. If the item you’re purchasing is not available fresh, look for items in glass jars, as opposed to cans.
- Avoid products containing GMO’s (genetically modified organisms).In fact, many countries in Europe have banned all products containing GMO’s. Most products produced with GMO’s are corn and soybeans, so avoid these products and their derivatives, such as corn tortillas.
- Purchase beef that is grass fed and grass finished that are antibiotic and hormone free, and are free ranged. These meats are higher in nutrients and are less inflammatory to the body.
- Eliminate dairy from your diet. Please refer to our previous blog, in which we discussed the effects dairy has on your body.
- If you enjoy bread, I recommend Ezekiel bread, which can be purchased at Trader Joe’s, Fresh Market, and other health food stores.
- Avoid farm-raised salmon. Recent findings suggest soy and hydrolyzed chicken feathers are in the food the salmon are fed, these unnecessary ingredients are highly linked to toxins and inflammation in the system. Wild caught Alaskan salmon is healthy alternative.
Clean eating is quite simple when you break down the basics. Avoiding processed foods and following the tips above will help you toward a healthier lifestyle. At our Indianapolis chiropractic clinic, we encourage our patients to stay healthy and avoid unnecessary ingested chemicals, by doing so, it will aid them in staying healthy, and recovering from pains and illnesses faster. If you have any questions, or would like more information, please contact us today at 317.449.2020.
About Integrated Health Solutions
Dr. Charbel Harb is a licensed chiropractic physician and the Medical Director of Integrated Health Solutions. Our core belief is that each patient who walks through the doors is a person, not just a medical record or chart. Our greatest pleasure is bringing joy to our patients and helping them to fully embrace life, allowing them to enjoy each day: active, healthy and pain free.