Our current society leads a very sedentary lifestyle. Most of us sit for eight or more hours a day at work, and if that isn’t enough, we sit to drive, eat, and as we’re unwinding for the day. Recent research on sitting and sedentary lifestyles suggests lack of activity throughout the day can be hazardous. Below you will find a few of the risks prolonged hours of sitting can have on your body and your health, and what you can do to alleviate those risks.
Let me begin by highlighting a few of the health risks:
· Heart Problems – including increased blood pressure and elevated cholesterol.
· Pancreatic Over Activity – idol muscles do not respond as well to insulin, causing the pancreas to produce more insulin, which can lead to diabetes.
· Flabby Abs – core muscles are most active when they are trying to stabilize you, such as when you’re standing or being active.
· Floppy Glutes – sitting all day causes your butt muscles to become lose, because they are not being used for their main purpose. The gluteus maximus muscle is one the strongest muscles in the human body, but if you don’t use it, you’re going to lose it, and no one wants a saggy butt.
· Osteoporosis – the more weight you put on your bones, the stronger they become. When you sit all day your bones are not under stress, which causes decreased bone density and can lead to osteoporosis, especially in the female population.
· Lack of Concentration – extended hours of sitting inhibits your breathing and oxygen intake into the system, including your brain; hence, your thoughts become foggy.
· Neck Pain – poor posture with prolonged sitting causes neck muscles to become shortened, tense and tight, which can also lead to headaches.
What Can You Do?
· Take micro-breaks throughout the day, getting off your chair every 20 minutes or so. Take a short walk, or do some simple stretching in your office.
· Whenever possible, do your work standing up, for example, while talking on the phone.
· Keep a foam roller at your office and use it a few times a day. We have many helpful videos on our YouTube channel. Foam rolling your back during the day, for example, can be very beneficial.[youtube_sc url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1e8tIA_MeI&list=UUywozp0WIbd3OU4N9KQlUag”]
If sitting is unavoidable, make the most of it:
· Sit with a neutral neck over your shoulders.
· Keep your shoulders down and relaxed.
· Keep your arms close to your body, with your elbows at 90 degrees.
· Knees at 90 degrees, with feet on the floor.
· Use a chair with a lumbar support, or create your own by rolling a small towel and placing it behind your back right above your belt line.
At our affordable chiropractic clinic, we educate our patients on the importance of good posture. For a healthy lifestyle, movement is imperative. Start moving more today, before you realize you’ve aged and are barely able to ambulate, let alone enjoy an activity.
If pain is keeping you from enjoying activities you were once able to enjoy, call our Indianapolis chiropractic clinic today at 317.449.2020 to see how we can help.
About Integrated Health Solutions
Dr. Charbel Harb is a licensed chiropractic physician and the Medical Director of Integrated Health Solutions. Our core belief is that each patient who walks through the doors is a person, not just a medical record or chart. Our greatest pleasure is bringing joy to our patients and helping them to fully embrace life, allowing them to enjoy each day: active, healthy and pain free.