In today’s fast paced society, it’s not surprising that a majority of us feel stressed. Many of us contribute daily aches and pains to getting older. However, those headaches you’re getting, could be stress related. Same with back aches. Is your asthma acting up? Eczema flared up? This could also be stress related. In fact, chronic stress can do as much damage to your body as smoking. At our Indianapolis chiropractic clinic, many of our patients symptoms are multifactorial, and often times stress is a contributing factor. Below are six simple steps to help you eliminate your stress:
1. Keep Things in Perspective. What you’re stressing about today, may not even matter in three days, and in five years, you probably won’t even remember it. Our lives are made up of chapters, one bad one doesn’t mean your story ends, it means it is time to turn the page and see what the next one has in store.
Recommended Reading: Practical Tips for Productive Living
2. Be Mindful and focus on the Present. You can’t change the past, and you can’t predict the future. Good planning of the future is definitely necessary, however being mindful and living in the present is a key factor in reducing stress. Instead of dwelling on the life you have planned, enjoy the life you have at the moment.
Recommended Reading: “The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment” by Eckhart Tolle
3. Focus on What You Can Change. Many of us over engage our mind in thinking about the uncontrollable factors in our lives. If you can’t change it, it’s not worth stressing about. Think of things you can change that will make you happier, like eating healthier or exercising.
Related: Your Guide to a Healthier Lifestyle
4. Write it Down. A quick and easy way to relieve stress at the end of the day is to write down what’s on your mind. Writing your thoughts down is a great way to relax your brain after a long day.
5. Meditate. In a recent blog, we discussed how simple meditation can help you better handle your stress.
6. Surround Yourself with Positive People. Limit your time with negative people; they contaminate your environment. Negative thoughts solve nothing. Surround yourself with people who have a positive outlook on life and who look for the good in every situation.
At our affordable chiropractic clinic, we encourage our patients to incorporate these simple steps into their daily lives, by doing so, it will not only help them handle stress, but hopefully, eventually eliminate it.
Do you have any suggestions on how to eliminate stress? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below. Stop by our Indianapolis chiropractic clinic to learn more.
About Integrated Health Solutions
Dr. Charbel Harb is a licensed chiropractic physician and the Medical Director of Integrated Health Solutions. Our core belief is that each patient who walks through the doors is a person, not just a medical record or chart. Our greatest pleasure is bringing joy to our patients and helping them to fully embrace life, allowing them to enjoy each day: active, healthy and pain free.