In this health tip we want to share with you the first thing you should drink every morning on an empty stomach, and how it will benefit you. We’ll finish with a twist on how we recommend you prepare it, and a time saving tip to get it ready for the week!
You know what they say…when life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice out of them and enjoy the benefits. Okay, maybe that’s not how it goes, but we certainly do love our lemons and the benefits we receive by adding them to warm water every morning with a dash of cayenne and salt.
Lemon water doesn’t just quench our thirst; it also provides our bodies with plenty of vitamins and minerals. Drinking it first thing in the morning is a great energy booster, as our tissues are dehydrated and in need of fluid to push out the toxins. Not only that, you’ll also get many additional benefits from adding this delicious citrus-flavored drink to your morning routine. Here are a few we thought you’d enjoy:
- Aids Digestion. Acid helps break down food, which is why there is so much of it in our stomachs. The acid in lemons helps supplement stomach acids, which decline as we get older.
- Boosts the Immune System. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning gives our bodies the chance to absorb the vitamin C contained in lemons effectively, and provides a little boost to the immune system.
- Rejuvenates the Skin. The antioxidants found in vitamin C do double duty in lemon water. They fight damage caused by free radicals, keeping your skin looking fresh. Getting enough vitamin C from your lemon water also keeps the body producing collagen, essential in smoothing out lines in the face.
- Boosts Energy. Skip the morning cup of coffee; lemon water can boost energy levels without the caffeine crash. When negative-charged ions, like those found in lemons, enter your digestive tract, the result is an increase in energy levels.
- Aids Weight Loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning by itself isn’t a miracle weight loss solution, but with other healthy habits, it can help maintain a healthy weight.
- Helps Cleanse the Liver. Doing this ritual every morning provides a super stimulant to the liver, your main detoxing organ in the body. Your liver will release uric acid and create bile to safely eliminate environmental and lifestyle toxins that would otherwise be trapped in your digestive system longer. Remember keeping your liver and digestive system clean and in optimal condition will help your body prevent diseases.
Here’s how we recommend preparing your lemon water:
- Use an electric kettle to warm ¾ cup of filtered water (Set it at 135°F, just enough to make it warm)
- Add the juice of one freshly squeezed lemon, watch out for those pesky seeds though
- Add a dash of cayenne for an array of benefits, such as anti-inflammatory, detoxifier, and enhanced circulation
- Add a dash of kosher, unrefined salt for increased hydration
- Add ¼ teaspoon of organic coconut oil to help regulate your cholesterol level
- Drink this tasty concoction with a straw, to decrease the effect of the lemon on your teeth
- We recommend drinking an additional cup of filtered pure water right afterwards
And one last tip, juice your lemons on a Sunday and keep the fresh juice in a glass container in your fridge. The convenience of having the lemon juice already squeezed every morning will help you stick to your new daily routine.
Thanks for reading! We would love to hear back from you here or on social media. Let us know how you’re liking your new habit!